Monday, September 12, 2011

Living Simply with Children

As we patiently await the arrival of baby #2, I am constantly reminded of how quickly the past 9 months (heck, the past 12 months!) have gone by.

A few Christmases ago, my in-laws bought everyone a book or two. We gave them a wishlist and they picked the ones they felt like getting. I love getting books. I rarely spend the money on them myself, so it's such a treat to get them as gifts.

That year, I requested a book titled "Living Simply with Children". I read it, on and off, for about 6 months. Then, immediately after reading it, I started it again and finished it within a couple of days. It's been put away in our bookshelf now for over a year, but tonight I pulled it out again.

My son is asleep, and I was sitting at the computer looking for ideas on how to help him celebrate the changing of the season. I find the transition from summer to fall a big one for little kids. You don't go out swimming anymore, you start wearing long pants, all the green turns to orange/brown/red, etc...

So, amidst my web-travels, I was reminded that activities don't have to be extravagant to be enjoyed. In fact, the most simplistic and frugal crafts/outtings can be the most fun... and cherished in the long run!

Maybe you know how to live simply with your children - I'll admit, I'm part-way there, but I've still got some things to learn! - but if you're looking for a good read, even just to reaffirm what you already know about yourself and your parenting style, I highly recommend this book.

Signing off to stick my nose in a book...

-tb:oxo

No comments:

Post a Comment