Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A challenge to myself

Lately, I've been missing art... to sit and think about the endless hours I used to spend going through books, websites, magazines, anything I could get my hands on that was even remotely related to art! It inspired and energized me on a regular basis. From classic art to graffiti art...

In this new stage of my life (the one that exists now that I've discovered card-making and stamping!), I feel like I've given up a part of me that I felt was really important.

So... I've decided to give myself my own weekly challenges. Ones that are art-related and that give me the opportunity to browse through books, websites, and magazines to inspire me again. And, I've decided to incorporate them into my new hobby of card-making.

With all that said, here's my "Scare Easy" challenge #1. Hey, if you're interested, you can play with me! :) Basically, I'm going to pick one of my favourite art pieces, and draw inspiration from them (either colour or composition). This one... colour!


The Flower Seller - Diego Rivera
Diego Rivera has always been, by far, one of my favourite artists of all time. I've always been fascinated by the liveliness and almost animated images of the Latin-American art scene. He can conjure up emotions with the simplest of images... but can create a whole story with an intensely detailed wall fresco.

It's no surprise that while searching for my first challenge to myself that I instantly went to this painting.

Here is my take on the colours/inspiration:

Thanks
(SE#1)

No supplies were harmed in the making of this card!
Cardstock :: Early Espresso (SU), Very Vanilla (SU), Wisteria Wonder (SU)
Paper :: "Pocketful of Posies" DSP (SU), "Beyond the Garden" DSP (SU)
Stamps :: Kindness Matters (SU)
Ink :: Wild Wasabi (SU), Wisteria Wonder (SU)
Embellishments :: $1 Ribbon, Pearl Dots (MS)
Tools ::
Decorative Label punch (SU), Large oval punch (SU), Scallop Edge punch (EK), Dimensionals (SU), Lace Edge punch (Fiskars)
Finished Size :: 4 1/2" x 4 1/4"
 
I've been absolutely addicted to the Paper Crafts "Card Ideas for Paper Crafters" magazine since I got it a couple weeks ago... So again, for the sketch, I referenced that. This one is found on page 32, and is designed by Vanessa Menhorn.

Delighted... and exhausted (when is this baby going to come?!)

-tb:oxo

No comments:

Post a Comment